[tor-relays] Running an exit node from home

teor teor at riseup.net
Thu Nov 1 01:57:24 UTC 2018

> On 31 Oct 2018, at 22:47, Ralph Seichter <m16+tor at monksofcool.net> wrote:
>
> * teor:
>
>> If a client doesn't have a circuit to an exit that supports the port
>> it wants, it randomly chooses an exit that allows that port.
>
> Sure, but is the distinction of what is considered "an exit" reflected
> in the exit flag?

I don't understand what you mean by "an exit". Do you mean "the Exit flag" or
"an exit policy that allows some ports"?

>> The Exit flag means "useful for general exiting". Clients build preemptive
>> circuits to Exit-flagged relays. When a client has an available circuit for
>> exiting, it will use that circuit.
>>
>> The Exit policy means "allows exiting to these ports".

> And is it truly random, or does the consensus weight
> factor into it, the latter being what I thought to be the case?

Clients filter Exits by exit policy or Exit flag, then choose an exit randomly
weighted by consensus weight. Almost everything in Tor is chosen randomly by
consensus weight. (HSDirs are an exception.)

> My point is that a Tor node not flagged as an exit is pretty much
> useless for that role, and removing all exit rules is appropriate in my
> opinion.

I agree, but each operator can make their own choice.