[tor-relays] Bridges and MyFamily setting

Cristian Consonni cristian at balist.es
Sun Jul 22 16:37:12 UTC 2018

Hi,

I am running a couple of relay nodes and now I would like to set a
bridge relay. The `torrc` file says the following:
---
## Uncomment this if you run more than one Tor relay, and add the identity
## key fingerprint of each Tor relay you control, even if they're on
## different networks. You declare it here so Tor clients can avoid
## using more than one of your relays in a single circuit. See
## https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#MultipleRelays
## However, you should never include a bridge's fingerprint here, as it
would
## break its concealability and potentially reveal its IP/TCP address.
#MyFamily $keyid,$keyid,...
---

I understand that I should not add the bridge fingerprint to the
MyFamily setting of my other relays, but should I set MyFamily on my
bridge (with the fingerprints of my other nodes)?

I suppose that the logic of avoiding to have the same circuit through
multiple relay controlled by the same operator is still valid, but I
don't know if this could be a problem.