[tor-relays] Bridges and MyFamily setting

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Sun Jul 22 16:57:00 UTC 2018

> I am running a couple of relay nodes and now I would like to set a
> bridge relay. The `torrc` file says the following:
> ---
> ## Uncomment this if you run more than one Tor relay, and add the identity
> ## key fingerprint of each Tor relay you control, even if they're on
> ## different networks. You declare it here so Tor clients can avoid
> ## using more than one of your relays in a single circuit. See
> ## https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#MultipleRelays
> ## However, you should never include a bridge's fingerprint here, as it
> would
> ## break its concealability and potentially reveal its IP/TCP address.
> #MyFamily $keyid,$keyid,...
> ---
>
> I understand that I should not add the bridge fingerprint to the
> MyFamily setting of my other relays, but should I set MyFamily on my
> bridge (with the fingerprints of my other nodes)?

what do you mean by "other nodes"?
other bridges?

generally speaking:
- please don't run bridges and exits at the same time
- don't add MyFamily lines to your bridge's torrc file
- don't put bridge fingerprints or hashed fingerprints into your relays' torrc files

--
https://twitter.com/nusenu_
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu