[tor-relays] Question regarding ethical torrent blocking

Iain Learmonth irl at torproject.org
Sun Jul 15 16:53:13 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 15/07/18 17:23, Conrad Rockenhaus wrote:
> I'm just curious on what thoughts on this are. I know how to technically
> perform the block, I guess I feel like we're one of the last bastions
> against censorship on the Internet and people do torrent legitimate
> stuff. I don't consider pirating Fallout 4, The Elder Scrolls V,
> Sweetbitter, and The Evil Within 2 to be protected speech FYI... my
> worry is just blocking the legitimate uses of bittorrent.

Tor is designed in such a way that you can separately decide whether or
not you want to contribute to the network, and also whether or not you
are willing to deal with abuse notices. This is configured via exit
policies.

If abuse is threatening the continued running of your relay, then you
should take action to avoid not having a relay anymore.

There is a page on the wiki about various reduced exit policies that
will reduce the amount of abuse notices your relay may attract:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/ReducedExitPolicy

Exit policies are the way to configure this. Please do not try to filter
specific uses of a protocol using DPI. Application-level
filtering/firewalls is a good way to get the BadExit flag.

Thanks,
Iain.