[tor-relays] Consensus Weight Definiton

Keifer Bly keifer.bly at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 22:35:56 UTC 2018

Hello,

I am wondering, could you please explain exactly what “Consensus Weight” is? I had had a good uptime, about five days, then my darn computer that I run my relay off of froze for about 40 minutes this morning and I had no choice but to reboot the tor software, setting my current uptime back to 0 days. However, it has a consensus weight of 523, is this a good rating? Does this have an effect on things such as what flags a relay has (mine currently being Fast, V2Dir, Running, and Valid)?

The relay in question can be found here: https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/DB1AF6477BB276B6EA5E72132684096EEE779D30

I know the stable flag (which I have had on and off since  starting my relay, don’t currently have it but relay seems to receive traffic nonetheless) depends on uptime history, not exact current uptime, but am curious, is there an easy to check my current uptime history?

Also, I thought I’d share an applescript I wrote to automatically update the tor relay software and homebrew one minute after midnight every day.

Here is the source code (written using AppleScript editor)

do shell script "$ which brew
/usr/local/bin/brew update"
do shell script "$ which brew
/usr/local/bin/brew upgrade tor"
end

When it runs, it comes up with this error, saying tor is already up to date.

sh: $: command not found
Error: tor 0.3.2.10 already installed (1)

As this is the only error that appears, I’d take it that the script works

It can be scheduled to run automatically at midnight every night via this method I found here:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/24862/how-can-i-configure-my-computer-to-run-an-applescript-at-a-specific-time-caveat

I am curious to know what you all think of this tactic if you will, please let me know as you can give it to others if you wish. Thank you.