[tor-relays] Consensus Weight Definiton

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 23:25:03 UTC 2018

Hi,

> On 22 Apr 2018, at 08:35, Keifer Bly <keifer.bly at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am wondering, could you please explain exactly what “Consensus Weight” is? I had had a good uptime, about five days, then my darn computer that I run my relay off of froze for about 40 minutes this morning and I had no choice but to reboot the tor software, setting my current uptime back to 0 days. However, it has a consensus weight of 523, is this a good rating? Does this have an effect on things such as what flags a relay has (mine currently being Fast, V2Dir, Running, and Valid)?
>
> The relay in question can be found here: https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/DB1AF6477BB276B6EA5E72132684096EEE779D30

Here is the definition of consensus weight:
https://metrics.torproject.org/glossary.html#consensus-weight

If you still have more questions, search the archives of
tor-relays at lists.torproject.org for the words "bandwidth" and "consensus weight":
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/

Please feel free to ask more specific questions after reading these things.

> I know the stable flag (which I have had on and off since  starting my relay, don’t currently have it but relay seems to receive traffic nonetheless) depends on uptime history, not exact current uptime, but am curious, is there an easy to check my current uptime history?

As someone said in response to your last email, no, there is not.

But you can see your consensus weight and flags history as graphs on:
> https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/DB1AF6477BB276B6EA5E72132684096EEE779D30

You can get an idea of your uptime from these graphs.

But please ignore the 1 month bandwidth graph, it might be empty,
and it will go away soon. The longer graphs will stay.
(Relays recently stopped reporting bandwidth in detail for security
reasons. Search the list archives for details.)

> Also, I thought I’d share an applescript I wrote to automatically update the tor relay software and homebrew one minute after midnight every day.

It looks like it would work on macOS.

Most people use cron for scheduled tasks, because it works on Linux and BSDs as well.