[tor-relays] Testers needed for Nyx beta release

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Mon Oct 30 23:53:06 UTC 2017

> I can confirm the connections now display correctly. Thanks!

\o/

>> Is 'tor' listed when you run "ps -ao ucomm="?
>
> It is *not* listed. In case it helps, Tor 0.3.1.8 was installed via
> ports/security/tor (https://www.freshports.org/security/tor), and I haven't
> done anything to modify the startup process. I think this is a fairly common
> way to install Tor on FreeBSD. The process is running /usr/local/bin/tor as
> user _tor.

Is it shown in the ps output as '/usr/local/bin/tor'? If so then I'll
adjust Stem to look for that too.

> I found one other issue. On startup nyx is displaying "nyx: environment
> corrupt; missing value for" (there's nothing after the "for"). I see it on
> the console twice after exiting nyx. This may be related to the comments
> Andrew Deason made about the environment?

Hmmm. Would you mind experimenting a little? In particular, would you
mind modifying the 'nyx/starter.py' file in a couple ways?

1. Comment out the putenv calls (add a '#' at the start of lines 91 and 96)....

https://gitweb.torproject.org/nyx.git/tree/nyx/starter.py#n90

... then see if the 'environment corrupt' messages go away.

2. Comment out the _set_process_name() call (line 88). This does low
level mucking that might be causing issues too.

https://gitweb.torproject.org/nyx.git/tree/nyx/starter.py#n88

Cheers! -Damian