[tor-relays] Testers needed for Nyx beta release

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Mon Oct 30 23:19:16 UTC 2017

> I think I've found a bug with the Connections pane. nyx appears to munge all
> the connections into "outbound", like:
>
>   Connections (4852 outbound, 1 control):
>
> Whereas arm on the same system displays them correctly like:
>
>   Connections (2196 inbound, 2651 outbound, 1 control):

Oops, great catch! Turned out that we were generally failing to pick
up non-outbound connections at all due to a bug in Stem. Fixed...

https://gitweb.torproject.org/stem.git/commit/?id=8772dbe

... and filed a ticket to clarify this in the spec...

> Otherwise I'm finding nyx to be a very good experience so far! Thanks again!

Thanks, glad you like it!

> It didn't take me long to figure out, but additional messaging might be
> helpful. Right now nyx just displays "Unable to connect to tor. Are you sure
> it's running?" Perhaps you could add something like "If you have set a
> custom Control Port for Tor, you can specify it with the '-i' argument."?

On reflection this message is coming from Stem when it is both unable
to connect and can't find a 'tor' process running...

https://gitweb.torproject.org/stem.git/tree/stem/connection.py#n184

Per chance is your process running under a different name? There might
also be an issue in the helper function that's attempting to determine
this...

https://gitweb.torproject.org/stem.git/tree/stem/util/system.py#n399

Is 'tor' listed when you run "ps -ao ucomm="?

Cheers! -Damian