[tor-relays] What kind of hardware do I need for my relay

Olaf Grimm dl1hqd at gmx.de
Tue Mar 21 18:43:15 UTC 2017

Ok, N3050 cpu count was my mistake. It are 2 cores. It is a hand-size
mini pc (ZOTAC 323 nano). It act as a middle node.

Now checked: The cpu load is ~15% with 1184 connected relays! (home
connection with 10MBit/s; actual modem usage: 5MBit/s upload average,
8MBit/s peak. Downstream equal upstream.

(Sorry for wrong values before with an upload of 1MBit/s. I had
forgotten my line upgrade some months ago.)

Relay fingerprint:    E9A31E7EFF7A062AA67DA601CC70605AACF9F385
Relay external address:    91.48.47.161
Total traffic (read/written):    260.18 GB/263.10 GB
Connected relays    (1184)

ATLAS says 200 kByte/s (graph) >> ~2MBit/s   Where is the mistake? I
expect a lot more. The wrong value is stable over weeks.

One of my external VPS server:

Incoming / outgoing ~30MBit/s with a 100MBit/s connection

ATLAS says 4MByte/s (graph)

ARM display 40% cpu load with 5% for ARM itself.

RAM 4GB, 1 virtual core, XEON, ?? GHz

My confusion: ATLAS display MByte/s, not MBit/s. Every time I traped in
this. It is a technical agreement, that serial lines are rated in Bit/s,
not Bytes/s. It would be nice to change this in ATLAS.

I hope now my values are clearer than before.

Olaf