[tor-relays] Traffic Confimration Attacks/ Bad Relays

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 01:07:59 UTC 2017

> On 22 Jul 2017, at 08:00, Matt Traudt <sirmatt at ksu.edu> wrote:
>
> Now, to my observations and the post that was referred to:
>
> /I clearly failed to clarify/ that the "suspicious" traffic which caught
> my interest was about non-Tor IPs entering the network through my exits.

How do you work out what a non-Tor IP is?

> As pastly nicely put it: /> will never be used as a guard by
> well-behaved tor clients./

Exits won't be used as long-term Guards, but they will be used as
Entry nodes (or receive connections that look like client connections)
from:
* clients via bridges
* clients with UseEntryGuards disabled, including:
  * Single Onion Services (to intro and rend nodes)
  * Tor2web (to HSDir, intro and rend nodes)
* clients using them as directory guards or fallback directory mirrors,
* bandwidth authorities,
* Tor relays that aren't in the consensus(es) you're using to work out
  what a "non-Tor IP" is,
* Tor relays that have an OutboundBindAddress* option, or a route, that
  binds to an IP address they're not advertising in their descriptor.

(Some of these categories might be excluded by position weights, I
haven't checked them all in detail.)

> My observations were made using a utility I built using nDPI and sysdig
> (kernel module).
>
> That is, I have observed about a gigabit of traffic entering my exit
> nodes originating /from non-Tor IPs/, causing connections to be
> initiated to middle nodes.

The most likely scenarios responsible for this volume of traffic are:
* clients with UseEntryGuards disabled, including:
   * Tor2web (to a rend node using Tor2webRendezvousPoints)
* Tor relays that aren't in the consensus(es) you're using to work out
  what a "non-Tor IP" is,
* Tor relays that have an OutboundBindAddress* option, or a route, that
  binds to an IP address they're not advertising in their descriptor.

> I have not claimed evidence to "prove" confirmation attacks. I have
> merely observed nearly a gigabit (on multiple nodes, that is) of inbound
> traffic entering the network through my exit nodes, which does not seem
> very reasonable to do unless the goal is attack hidden services.

Proving an attack would be hard: we'd have to rule out all the
exceptional cases I listed above one-by-one. And check the process used
to identify Tor and non-Tor IPs.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n