[tor-relays] Traffic Confimration Attacks/ Bad Relays

Kenan Sulayman kenan at sly.mn
Sat Jul 22 02:31:03 UTC 2017

Thanks for your input, Tim.

You are correct that I have not taken into account the IPs which are not in
the consensus.

My exit nodes are regularly attacked -- what caught my attention was not
the fact that an extra gigabit of traffic was flowing in, but rather the
way it was (*and still is*, on one node) flowing in.

The patterns of the traffic seem unusual, because they are precisely timed
windows of traffic: 30 seconds of a about gigabit of traffic, 5 minutes
(exactly 302 ± 3 seconds, that is) pause, 15 seconds of a about gigabit of
traffic, 3 minutes (181 ± 1 seconds) pause, 60 seconds of a gigabit of
traffic, 10 minutes (604 ± 2 seconds).

This went on for 8 hours on apx1, apx2 is seeing this still.

I'm very sure that there is a reasonable explanation for this, but I can't
see the reason any client would behave like this.

-- Kenan