[tor-relays] Failing because we have 4063 connections already // Number of file descriptors

Ralph Seichter m16+tor at monksofcool.net
Fri Dec 15 10:03:14 UTC 2017

On 15.12.2017 10:45, r1610091651 wrote:

> could be that your tuning is not being picked up by the distro.

Looks like you are right:

  # cat /proc/3534/limits
  Limit                  Soft Limit Hard Limit  Units
  Max cpu time           unlimited  unlimited   seconds
  Max file size          unlimited  unlimited   bytes
  Max data size          unlimited  unlimited   bytes
  Max stack size         8388608    unlimited   bytes
  Max core file size     0          unlimited   bytes
  Max resident set       unlimited  unlimited   bytes
  Max processes          3969       3969        processes
  Max open files         4096       4096        files
  Max locked memory      65536      65536       bytes
  Max address space      unlimited  unlimited   bytes
  Max file locks         unlimited  unlimited   locks
  Max pending signals    3969       3969        signals
  Max msgqueue size      819200     819200      bytes
  Max nice priority      0          0
  Max realtime priority  0          0
  Max realtime timeout   unlimited  unlimited   us

Only 4096 open files max. I did not expect that, because of

  tor $ ulimit -n
  65535
  tor $ cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
  101300

What part of the system's configuration could cause the 4096 open files
limit, overriding the 65535 I specified in limits.conf?

-Ralph