[tor-relays] Moving multiple instances to another VPS

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 01:53:35 UTC 2016

> On 12 Sep 2016, at 06:06, s7r <s7r at sky-ip.org> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for running exits!
>
> Pay attention that each instance has its own datadirectory, this means
> you need to have multiple 'keys' subdirectories depending on the number
> of your instances. Usually /var/lib/tor should contain some subfolders
> like 1, 2 or instance1, instance2, whatever and each containing another
> subfolder with the related keys for each instance.

In Debian, using tor-instance-create and systemd, there is a separate directory, /var/lib/tor-instances
You'll need to copy both /var/lib/tor and /var/lib/tor-instances to preserve the keys, and /etc/tor to preserve the configs.

That said, please consider rotating keys when you move (that is, only copying /etc/tor).

If your old relay or those keys were ever compromised, you'll have a fresh start.
And even if it wasn't, some of your network reputation will be reset when you move IP addresses anyway.

Tim