[tor-relays] ISP, Abuses , Intrusion Prevention etc.

Gareth Llewellyn gareth at networksaremadeofstring.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 11:41:18 UTC 2016

On 9 Oct 2016 11:36, "pa011" <pa011 at web.de> wrote:

> - what forces drive ISP's to behave like they do with abuses?
>         - maybe Exit volunteers and here especially the big ones could
ask some questions to their ISP to get more light on this

I set up my own ISP (AS28715) so I could run Tor exits etc without any
trouble.

>         I do refer to my old questions -still unanswered:
>
>                 -is it just the more work for rather poor money
handling(forwarding)
>                         those abuses ?

Yes. Every abuse ticket is a person answering that abuse ticket instead of
helping a customer who is potentially paying for support.

It's also that some of the abuse emails can be quite threatening (e.g.
blacklisting the entire /24 or reporting the "crime" to local Police etc)
some of the smaller ISPs can get intimidated by those threats.

>                 - to whom else do ISP's have to report what they are
doing with received
>                   abuses?

In the UK; No one.

>                 - must ISP's answer to the origin of the abuse?

No. But is polite to do so.

>                 - who is getting a copy of all that conversation(if at
all)?

Depends on the ISPs policies / any applicable laws. (In the UK and at least
as far as my ISP is concerned; no-one)

>                 - can an ISP loose its license (with too many or badly
handled abuses)?

AFAIK; No. In the UK I guess one could appeal to Court if an ISP wasn't
preventing its network from being used to your detriment but I'm not sure
how far you'd get.

>                 - are there any regulatory burdens for them - if so which
ones?

Yes. Lots depending on the country.

>                 - are ISP's treated different in different parts of the
world?

Very much so.