[tor-relays] ISP, Abuses , Intrusion Prevention etc.

pa011 pa011 at web.de
Sun Oct 9 10:36:27 UTC 2016

My personal efforts over the last months as well as the recent discussion about Intrusion prevention showed, there are more and more ISP's not giving support any more for running Tor exits, either in not allowing new ones or even shutting down existing ones.

Sure there are still chances to find new inexperienced ISP's, which in the willing to increase their customer base give allowance to run an Exit. But only a few weeks later their wish to get rid of you again increases with the same speed as the stack of abuses rises.Finally you are out again and on the back of their terms not even able to get your unused money back.

Further doing it that way, is kind of leaving scorched earth behind you and not only yourself, but for Tor as a whole.

So there are at least two questions:

- what forces drive ISP's to behave like they do with abuses?
	- maybe Exit volunteers and here especially the big ones could ask some questions to their ISP to get more light on this

	I do refer to my old questions -still unanswered:

	 	-is it just the more work for rather poor money handling(forwarding)
			those abuses ?
		- to whom else do ISP's have to report what they are doing with received
		  abuses?
		- must ISP's answer to the origin of the abuse?
		- who is getting a copy of all that conversation(if at all)?
		- can an ISP loose its license (with too many or badly handled abuses)?
		- are there any regulatory burdens for them - if so which ones?
		- are ISP's treated different in different parts of the world?

- could there in the medium therm changes be made the way Tor operates to bring down the non linear increase of abuses

Support terribly needed and appreciated!

Paul