[tor-relays] Netflix overblocking non-exit Tor relays

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Fri Feb 26 23:58:22 UTC 2016

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 12:42:38AM +0100, Gero Kuehn wrote:
>  They did however not
> leave the impression that they a) care or b) intend to fix this at some
> point by parsing the Tor network information properly instead of using
> whatever cheap&wrong hack they use now.

There is actually a service that they can use to do this parsing
for them:
https://check.torproject.org/cgi-bin/TorBulkExitList.py
e.g.
https://check.torproject.org/cgi-bin/TorBulkExitList.py?ip=128.31.0.34&port=443

Now, I bet Netflix has more than one IP address. It would not be hard
to adapt this service to help them do what they should be wanting to do.

See https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq-abuse#Bans for more details.

One of our next steps might be to find a useful technical contact
inside Netflix, so they can start doing this advocacy and education from
the inside.

--Roger