[tor-relays] Netflix overblocking non-exit Tor relays

Gero Kuehn gero.kuehn at gkware.com
Sat Feb 27 00:49:09 UTC 2016

Hello Jonas !
> You mention an 'official response from Netflix'  - are you willing to share this?

Unfortunately this is nothing I got in writing yet after only 2 days. At the beginning of the last call, I heard a "this call might be recorded" announcement. When I realized that they are not willing to change anything, I did explicitly ask the supervisor if my 2-point summary of their position after 40 minutes of intensive discussion is accurate:
1) "you need to disable Tor to use the service"
2) "we do not refund credit, your setup needs to meet the conditions we define"
This was verbally confirmed and this will be the basis for my attempts to get at least the remaining credit back if they refuse to unblock the IP.

I also got the pointless "please refresh your internet connection" lecture quite a few times before my calls were forwarded to the supervisors. The first-level support does not even seem to know what a fixed IP-adress is or what a proxy actually does. Like most call centers, they only seem to follow a standardized flow chart for customer support at this level.

Kind regards,

  Gero / dc6jgk