[tor-relays] Unwarranted discrimination of relays with dynamic IP

Rana ranaventures at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 17:06:45 UTC 2016

Thank you @Gamby for echoing my sentiment.

While there can be a good tech reason for considering small relays useless, the small relay operators MUST be properly and openly advised about how useful or useless their relays are. I even have read about someone's suggestion of gamification of such feedback - which I think is a damn good idea , eg give people badges based on how USEFUL their relays are.

I heard here an idea that it's good that a lot of people run relays because their joining the party increases the size of the crowd that supports privacy. Well, a global crowd of 7000 is a pathetically small one considering the target, and people should run relays not because this makes them feel good about themselves but because they are convinced that their relays are being USED for a good purpose. If the small relays are largely unused (eg if 10% of the relays carry 90% of the Tor traffic - does anyone have an exact statistics on this?) and if, in addition,  there is no increased anonymity benefit in having a lot of small relays, then why bother?