[tor-relays] Is there a reason for all exit nodes being public?

Rana ranaventures at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 12:25:03 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 11:51:34AM +0000, Matthew Finkel wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 01:25:59PM +0200, Rana wrote:
>> > I mean, why aren't some exit nodes kept hidden, at least partially
>> > and temporarily, like bridges? This would mitigate web services
>> > denying service to Tor users (Gmail is the most recent example),
>> > plus would increase security.
>>
> I'll simply refer you to the FAQ:

>That was rude of me, answer below. Do you disagree with the reasoning?

That was not rude at all, thank you for the reference to the FAQ. I largely got a satisfactory explanation there although points (b) and (c) might be controversial.

The one point I find difficult to agree with is "(a) We can't help but make the information available, since Tor clients need to use it to pick their paths." If bridges can be hidden and provided to clients on as-needed basis, so can exits.

Rana