[tor-relays] Unwarranted discrimination of relays with dynamic IP

Duncan Guthrie dguthrie at posteo.net
Mon Dec 5 15:07:56 UTC 2016

On 04.12.2016 22:35, Tristan wrote:
> Perhaps this IS in fact normal. I ran a Tor relay on a Raspberry Pi
> for a while. My speed was about 1Mbps max, similar to your 1.5Mbps. I
> saw minimal traffic, and the consensus weight never went above 20.
>
> I'm not running a relay at home anymore because of the slow speeds.
> The configuration guide mentions having at least 250KBytes or 2Mbps,
> and even relays that have 2Mbps probably won't see much traffic since
> there's plenty of faster middle relays.

Keep in mind also that the Raspberry Pi (at least the first one anyway)
can only push around 1MB/s tops. The ethernet port is basically held on
by the equivalent of a piece of string! They're suitable for a small
mail or web server, or some sort of network probe, but not really for
any large application.

Duncan