[tor-relays] Using /dev/hwrng

Libertas libertas at mykolab.com
Fri Mar 13 20:39:49 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 07:01:58PM +0100, Imse Vimse wrote:
>    Would enabling the hardware random number generator on a relay node be
>    usefull in terms of increased performance?
>    If so, is it enough to activate /dev/hwrnd or is some configuration
>    and/or recompilation required?

I suspect that your OS already does this by mixing it into its entropy
store, but that Tor using the device directly would be dangerous.

I'm not sure how relevant the HardareAccel config option is, but you
might want to look into that. Also look at the output of 'openssl
engine' to see whether OpenSSL recognizes the rdrand engine as
available.

I don't know much about this, but I thought I'd give you some leads.