[tor-relays] IP Address change detected wrongly (Our IP Address has changed)

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Mar 10 18:46:52 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 06:30:50AM +0000, Sasikantha babu wrote:
> Hi all,
>     Today on my relay I observed the below messages 2 hours back.  Tor reported address change from IP_IN_INDIA
>      to IP_IN_FRANCE from SRC_1. The next second SRC_2 reported address change from IP_IN_FRANCE to
>      IP_IN_INDIA . How could it be possible?. Is this a normal behavior?.
>
> Mar 10 08:06:52 NoNameForHost Tor[27279]: Our IP Address has changed from <MY_IP_INDIA> to  <IP_IN_FRANCE>; rebuilding descriptor (source: SOURCE_IP_1__).
> Mar 10 08:06:53 NoNameForHost Tor[27279]: Our IP Address has changed from <IP_IN_FRANCE> to <MY_IP_INDIA>; rebuilding descriptor (source: SOURCE_IP_2__).
>
> PS: I'm not posting IP addresses but If you somebody wants the IP address too I will post them.

Fun. We used to have some bugs around that, but we haven't had bugs
there in a long time.

So yes, if you could post all the details, including which relay is
yours, that would help us figure out what's up here.

Have you set anything in the "Address" line of your torrc?

If not, does your computer have a public IP address, or a hostname that
resolves locally to a public IP address?

--Roger