[tor-relays] Consensus weight dropped

Bram de Boer list-tor-relays at nosur.com
Sun Jan 18 14:53:37 UTC 2015

All,

In December consensus weight of both my "nosurveillance" Tor exits dropped:

https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/7C3AE76BB9E9E6E4F2AE9270FD824DF54A944127
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/E6D740ABFFAAAD8052EDF95B2C8DC4059763F365

I assumed this to be related to the directory authorities tweaking
consensus weight in response to the Lizard Squad annoyance around that
time. However, traffic has not yet picked up yet.

Testing download and upload speeds of my server both maxed out the 100
Mbps line. I have even done a complete reinstall from a fresh Ubuntu image
a week ago (while keeping the old keys, as not to restart building
reputation from scratch) but that doesn't seem to help either.

I am renting this dedicated server from my own private money, in my spare
time as I hate surveillance and spying by governments. But right now I
starting to feel silly spending that much money for a Tor exit of which
only 50kbps bandwidth is used.

AFAIK nothing has changed on my server, so I am puzzled why consensus has
dropped and was never restored again.

Please advice,

Thanks,
Bram de Boer