[tor-relays] Reduced number of HSDir's

Sebastian G. <bastik.tor> bastik.tor at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 2 19:51:26 UTC 2015

02.01.2015, 19:47 Kura:
> I think something must have happened, I restarted half a dozen or so
> of my relays over a week ago and none of them have been given the
> HSDir flag, which if I remember rightly is a 21 hour flag? I may be
> mistaken but, I would have expected that flag to be back with over a
> week of uptime.

It used to be a 25 hour flag. 1 day plus an additional hour.

I think (yes, that says I don't know) the period being longer than 24
hours had something to do with an attack to get relays under adversary
control in the right position to become a HSDir for some
hidden-services. If one pays for a relays by days an additional hour is
an additional day for an attacker.

I may have missed something, but maybe it was raised.

I do remember that changes to Guards took place, like requiring them to
have more bandwidth and to reducing the number of Guards clients would
use. This was due to research.

Regards,
Sebastian