[tor-relays] Are BWauths punishing 'bad' relays? (not publishing measurements)

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Tue Aug 18 20:55:24 UTC 2015

We're not punishing on purpose, that's for sure.  DirAuths may not
vote on a relay to exclude it from the consensus, or may vote to give
it BadExit, but BWAuths have no such mechanism, and I guess you'll
just have to take the words of the individual operators to not do
something as evil as try and muck with the measurements manually.

The code here: https://gitweb.torproject.org/torflow.git/tree/NetworkScanners/BwAuthority
has a new scanner, scanner 9, for measuring unmeasured relays
specifically.  It takes at least 2-3 days for a scanner to loop around
and measure an entire partition.

This problem _may_ have been with me. Since we're operating so few
bwauths, one abstaining causes an issue. I'm not positive but I think
mine may have been malfunctioning and not running scanners 1 and 9
correctly. (9 for the past 5 days, 1 for considerably longer.)  I
don't know why, nor am I certain it was occurring.  I kicked things
just now, so hopefully in 2 days everything is entirely back to normal
and it doesn't occur again...?

Independent of this failure, one theory we have about the bwauths
needs to be proofed out.  We believe that as relays move between
scanner partitions (which are partitioned by speed), they may go one
or two cycles without measurement.  (Example: relay Alice falls into
the the range covered by scanner1.  when scanner1 completes and is
ready to start over, Alice falls into the range by scanner2 and not
scanner1; so scanner1 ignores it.  When scanner2 completes at a
different time than scanner1, Alice falls into the range covered by
scanner1 and therefore scanner2 ignores it.  Repeat for as long as you
feel unlucky.)

There are likely other failure cases.

Something that could be done, is taking the individual bwauth votes
(mine are at https://bwauth.ritter.vg/bwauth/ ) and doing some
analysis on them.  Unfortunately the files don't contain the id of the
scanner that processed them (and I'm much to scared to edit the format
in case it breaks parsing somewhere else...)
But, one could still look at the time between measurements for every
individual relay, and get the median and standard deviation.  Look at
outliers and see if they are multiples of the median.  One could also
look at the median time it takes for an unmeasured relay to become
measured (this would require consensus data.)  If this technique
works* and we amend the output format to include the scanner ID, it
could even become an alert script that says "Hey, looks like scanner4
is stuck!" or something.

* Big if. Something that would definitely throw off measurements is
when a bwauth is restarted, like I just restarted mine. But mine ran
pretty solid for

-tom