[tor-relays] Slow relay speeds for Australian geographic location(s)

Mathew wired.kid at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 07:06:42 UTC 2014

Sorry about that test.

Thanks for the in depth post, Teor. I had read the lifecycle article but
was concerned when people were posting that their relay was soaking all
their bandwidth after a day or two. This makes sense now, given the
oversupply and location. It was also worrying when the advertised bandwidth
was fluctuating so much and was only advertising a fraction of what
actually is available.

The Windows server is using very minimal resources at the moment, and TCP
connections are around 250. The router will definitely be able to handle
the load, I run a pfSense APU.

TPG doesn't have any bandwidth constraints specifically. They run a lot of
their own infrastructure including their own undersea PPC-1 cable
https://www.tpg.com.au/about/networks.php. No connection is ever shaped by
TPG and I have unlimited bandwidth.

Amsterdam - http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3825961515
LA - http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3825963543
Boston - http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3825964878
London - http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3825966771

So you think it isn't detecting all of my available bandwidth due to
distance and location and such? Is it just one of those things?

torrc http://pastebin.com/GcTswhQx

Thanks again.