[tor-relays] Exiting only port 8333

David Serrano tor at dserrano5.es
Mon Mar 17 21:25:41 UTC 2014

On 2014-03-17 21:39:05 (+0100), Mike Hearn wrote:

> I would like to be an exit for port 8333 only. I have configured my relay
> to do this, but I am not being listed with the relay flag and do not see
> any traffic exiting my node (at least not using arm). I saw an FAQ that
> says this is because you have to exit web traffic to get marked as an exit.
> I do not wish to do this.
>
> Is there any way to exit just one port?

I just enabled some exit ports in my relay so I have this issue fresh in my
mind. If I'm not mistaken, you need to open two of the ports 80, 443 and 6667
to gain the Exit flag, but not having that flag doesn't mean that you're not
an exit (ie. I believe that FAQ to be wrong). Initially I didn't open two of
that three ports but I saw outgoing connections to some of the accepted ports
nevertheless, so I was being an exit node despite not having the flag. Try
waiting some days to see if there's some traffic on port 8333. FWIW I check
outgoing connections using netstat instead of arm :).

HTH,

--
 David Serrano
 GnuPG id: 280A01F9