[tor-relays] Exiting only port 8333

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 20:12:32 UTC 2014

> If I'm not mistaken, you need to open two of the ports 80, 443 and 6667
> to gain the Exit flag

It's in dir-spec.txt as such. Probably under some rationale of
making nodes most widely beneficial. I'd think soaking up btc
traffic would be useful, if exit traffic stats supported that
need... is it 20GB per thick btc client now?, plus ongoing...

> but not having that flag doesn't mean that you're not
> an exit
> Try waiting some days to see if there's some traffic on port 8333.

The atlas graphs do show traffic for such nodes
providing essentially just 8333. They're usable manually,
just not automagically by the client I think. I forget
how their traffic is picked up.

There are 850+ nodes allowing 8333.

Have you considered running an onion:8333 seed node
to both serve btcnet and keep traffic off the exits? There's
an index on bitcoin.it for those. And iirc the btc client will
learn them over the btcnet then use them within tor.

What is the motivation?