[tor-relays] Fwd: [Abuse[...]] GameoverZeus-Infektionen

Ch'Gans chgans at gna.org
Fri Jul 18 09:08:15 UTC 2014

Hi there,

I'm here to look for advice or comments on how to handle abuse reports
when you run a TOR relay exit on a "server for the mass".
I'm running the TOR exit node 18B6EBAF10814335242ECA5705A04AAD29774078
on Hetzner netowrk (50E/month, this is my contribution to the TOR project)
So far I had to deal with few "easy" abuse reports (ssh scan, forum
insults, spams, ...), I think i performed pretty well so far (thanks to
Hetzner cooperation?)

But today I just received this botnet related one. I do take this report
seriously, I know that malware are more and more using the TOR network
as an anonymous covert, I don't like malware, I don't like malicious
botnet and I don't like spammers. Still I end up being identify as one
of them.

I knew from day one that it was a risky business to run an exit TOR
node, but I want to stand up and fight. If only I can convince people of
my right doing.

First of all I am quite surprised that cert-bund.de (the complainant)
didn't notice that I am a TOR exit node, so my first question (for
people familiar with these guys) is:
- How legit are these guys? Do they run for the German government? Are
their simply trying to scare the shit out of me by citing
europol.europa.eu, and us-cert.gov? (see redacted forwarded message
below, my own opinion is "Yes")
Then
- Do they simply spam hosting company each time they have a probe
sensing something somewhere (I know it's vague, but I can use that as a
"this complainant is a spammer" kind of argument)

Any other thoughts/remarks/comment on that matter?

Regards,
Chris

Thought of the day:
Nowadays it looks like server administrator tend to send abuse report
each time they receive an illegal ping request!
Testimony of the day:
Last time I received an "SSH scan" abuse report, I sent back my SSH
honeypot logs, which contains more than 5k login attempts per day.