[tor-relays] Bad experience with hetzner.de and "Trusted Tor Traceroutes" experiment

Paul Görgen tor at pgoergen.de
Wed Jan 15 12:20:15 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I am the other user running into trouble with Hetzner participating in
the experiment using scamper.

Conclusion first: For my server at Hetzner tor trace route using scamper
at full rate was flagged as abuse but 1/5 (PPS=200) seems to be fine up
to now.

I started the script on Friday and shortly after got the first abuse
report. However in my case they did not block the IP in the end, even
though they sent me several machine generated abuse reports. Each time I
stopped scamper, sent them the explanation what the script was doing
together with the request to next time not flag it as abuse with no
effect whatsoever. Then I resumed scamper. Stopping was necessary
because their system only allows you to explain what was happening after
you "fixed" it. I also tried to call them but didn't succeed to get the
right people on the phone. The time frame they gave me for "fixing" the
problem was usually only a few hours.

Finally scamper was defunct, presumably due to being stopped  two times,
so I restarted the whole Trusted Tor Traceroutes script on monday with
PPS=200 (reducing the traceroute rate to 1/5 of the default value). So
far I did not receive any machine generated abuse reports. I assume the
packet rate is now below the limit of what the monitoring thinks is a
netscan. I will report back if I should receive another abuse report
connected to the experiment.

"Netscans" are listed as unacceptable in the Hetzner server policy [1].
And since one can apparently not or only with great pains communicate to
a human in their support system there seems to be no chance of reliably
informing them why this does not qualify as a netscan.

For me a blocking of the IP would not be too painful since it looks like
they will block by IP. The IP belongs to an "experimental" KVM I run as
a sandbox to test things and which has nothing of importance running on
it. Therefore I will just continue running the script with the current
settings and see what happens.

Best regards,

Paul

[1] http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/legal/system-policies-rs