[tor-relays] Bad experience with hetzner.de and "Trusted Tor Traceroutes" experiment

Anupam Das anupam009 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 05:00:33 UTC 2014

Hi Alex,

We are very sorry to hear about the problems our measurements caused. Up
until yesterday, we had received no reports of them triggering these kinds
of responses from providers. However, yesterday we heard a very similar
story from another relay operator using Hetzner.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the tor-relays community. We have
also updated our FAQ to inform contributors about this potential problem.

Also, we'd like to help others avoid this while still providing useful
measurements, if possible. Have you gotten any feedback from Hetzner about
what rule was triggered and maybe how to avoid it? Do you have any ideas
about how one might stay below their radar? If it is something simple like
reducing the measurement rate that would be a great option to prevent
problems while still providing valuable data about the the Tor network.

We do still hope that most relay operators will be willing to give this
project a shot. We have received data from over 90 separate IP addresses
and have gotten 2 negative reports so far, although certainly the issues
could be more widespread without us being aware. We don't want to add to
the headaches that can result from running a Tor relay, but on the other
hand Tor relay operators are probably pretty adept at handling this kind of
stuff.

Thanks

Anupam