[tor-relays] ExtORPort notice

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Mon Feb 24 15:01:27 UTC 2014

Delton Barnes <delton.barnes at mail.ru> writes:

> Upon upgrading obfsproxy to 0.2.6 and Tor to 0.2.5.1-alpha-dev
> (git-f63b394d90583b77+96972c4) for scramblesuit, I got this in the Tor log:
>
> Feb 15 04:40:03.000 [notice] We are a bridge with a pluggable transport
> proxy but the Extended ORPort is disabled. The Extended ORPort helps Tor
> communicate with the pluggable transport proxy. Please enable it using
> the ExtORPort torrc option.
>
> How should this be set?  What does it do?  I saw some web pages
> suggesting "ExtORPort 6699" for statistics-gathering purposes.

Hm, that log message can indeed be more helpful. I opened a ticket
about this:
Feedback is welcome.

For what it's worth, the easiest way to set up the Extended ORPort is
to put:
'ExtORPort auto'
in your torrc. Tor will figure out an appropriate port number for you.

The Extended ORPort is used for statistics gathering for now. In the
future it will be used for more functionality (to orchestrate rate
limiting, etc.). See Kostas' mail for more information.