[tor-relays] Dynamic upload limit

Bram L aerkenbrand at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 19:54:07 UTC 2014

Dear list members,

I am running a tor relay, but I have an upload limit (50GB/7 days).
This limit usually can't be increased too much, because that might
affect other network users.

I would like to request my provider (university) for a bandwidth-free
connection during the night (or whenever the network is not used very
much), and a limited version during the peak times.
My idea is that this way I could contribute to the Tor network without
disturbing other users of my university network.

Before I do so, however, I am curious whether it actually contributes to
the Tor network.
I noticed it takes time for the bandwidth to increase, and if my daytime
upload limit is low (e.g. 80 kb/s) and unlimited (Gb/s) at night, my
overall contribution could be very limited due to the time it takes Tor
to utilize my available bandwidth.

Do you have any insights in this matter?

Thanks in advance!

PS: currently, I drain the 50GB in about a day unlimited or I run at
very slow speeds... Both don't give me the feeling I really contribute.