[tor-relays] Tor Server - DDOS or High Load

Austin Bentley ab6d9 at mst.edu
Wed Dec 3 21:07:30 UTC 2014

Hey bud,

Your adsl connection has a low advertised bandwidth, and doesn't make many
connections with regards to tor; thus, the CPU usage is correct. Look up
your server's fingerprint or nickname on Tor Globe to see how much of the
tor network travels through your server.

CPU load is usually associated with a lot of bandwidth or a inefficiency in
the server. I've heard that a 100mbit tor server using full 12.5MB/s
up/down will saturate the core dedicated to the Tor process; this is
presumably why a lot of servers run multiple Tor instances on different
cores and IP addresses. However, in your case, it is likely

The large amount of connections is generally caused by a few things:
1. You've been running a very stable server for a long period of time and
have sufficient bandwidth to provide connectivity for a large number of
clients; additional flags, such as Guard, HSDir, V2Dir, and Exit will
likely result in more connections. This is not likely with your server,
given your advertised bandwidth is only 68.44kb/s.
2. A single client is using your server for a lot of connections.
3. An anomaly/attack in the Tor network (somewhat unlikely, I don't know if
any have been documented.)
4. An attack against your server. This is very hard to do through the Tor
network; an attack against a Tor relay using Tor is an attack against all
Tor relays. HOWEVER, they could be attacking your port which you use to
host your tor server.

Just for reference, here's my tor stats:
Advertised B/W: ~4MB/s
Connections (555 inbound, 5 outbound, 93 exit, 1 socks, 5 circuit, 1
control)
Tor is averaging 9%-13% CPU usage; 198MB memory.

More info on my server:
https://globe.torproject.org/#/relay/EF84089646304169F439A8F473742D74F027BA1B

I hope this answered your question, if not, send a reply and hopefully I'll
reply sometime.