[tor-relays] Amazon abuse report

Paritesh Boyeyoko parity.boy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 11:18:53 UTC 2013

On Thursday 31 Oct 2013 21:52:41 Roger Dingledine wrote:

> The main reason for this choice is the number of people who've told us
> that they are only able to run exit relays because "it's what Tor does
> when you run a relay", and their institution wouldn't let them do it if
> it required a manual config change to become an exit.
>
> Then again, that was a long time ago, and maybe it's gotten harder to
> sustain exits these days?
>
> --Roger

I think the Tor exit climate may well have gotten tougher.  Invariably people
abuse Tor, and from what I've been reading on the likes of LowEndTalk like
this thread

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/1347/tor-node-on-low-end-boxes

more than a few hosters (VPS and dedi) just don't want to have to deal with
issues such as abuse and DMCA, so they either

a) Ban Tor completely or

b) Do not allow exits.

Some hosters actually have software that will check the /etc/tor/torrc file on
their VPS images to check that the software isn't configured for exit.

Best,
--
Parity
parity.boy at gmail.com