[tor-relays] Bandwidth Spike

Andreas Krey a.krey at gmx.de
Fri Jul 19 06:51:49 UTC 2013

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 00:20:20 +0000, Bryan Carey wrote:
> I'm a fairly new Tor relay operator and noticed something peculiar with my
> bandwidth for the relay recently. It seems to have jumped WAY up and just
> plateaued at what I have the peak bandwidth limit set at.

Someone is doing a big download, and it happens to go through your relay?

My relays often ran into 'flatline' (capacity continuously used up)
until I set the AdvertizedBandwith lower than the actual limit.

> Here's a screenshot I took of the bandwidth history:
> https://i.imgur.com/mRyKp9L.jpg (note that both R/W plateau at the same
> point in time)

What bandwidth exactly (OS or tor)? After all what comes into the
relay must go out again - the strange thing is that the burst
does more 'Read' (150k) than 'write' (20k) while otherwise the
traffic is symmetric. Sure that there isn't anything else running
on your relay?

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."