[tor-relays] Registration of a Tor node at the German Bundesnetzagentur

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Fri Jan 11 12:12:50 UTC 2013

Moritz Bartl <moritz at torservers.net> wrote:

> On 06.01.2013 20:29, tor-admin wrote:
> > On Wednesday 02 January 2013 13:34:27 Fabian Keil wrote:
> >> While I was living in Overath I "registered" my relays with the
> >> Police in Rösrath (who always acted very professionally and respectful).
> > Good point. I never thought about pro actively informing the local police
> > about my nodes. Will check this with my lawyer.
>
> When I started torservers.net, I also discussed this with our lawyer,
> and also proposed 'registering with' the LKA, federal state police. He
> doubted they have any system to put that down into. I have since talked
> to a cybercrime investigator of one of the LKAs, and he agreed and
> called that idea 'useless'.

I agree that there seems to be no real registry in place and that
"registering" with the BKA and the various LKÄ is probably useless.

My main motivation for "registering" with the local police was that
they seemed to get a lot of abuse cases forwarded from other police
"districts". I also assumed that any Tor-related search warrants
in my area would likely be executed by them and that they wouldn't
knowingly execute search warrants that are legally questionable.

They had also mentioned that having a list of the IP addresses I use
together with an universal description of what a Tor relay does and
why I can't provide "Klarpersonalien" for Tor users would allow
them to deal with abuse cases more quickly as they wouldn't have
to contact me each time (always getting pretty much the same answer
anyway).

Fabian