[tor-relays] setting up a Tor exit node

Julian Yon julian at yon.org.uk
Thu Nov 29 11:13:09 UTC 2012

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 11:50:13 +0100
esolve esolve <esolvepolito at gmail.com> wrote:

> You mean I can't make it only function as an exit node using TBB?
> or it is no way to make it function only as an exit node except that I
> modify the source codes?

Why would you want to? If you're trying to maximise the traffic that
you can sslstrip, note that messing with exit traffic is frowned upon
and will get you flagged as a BadExit when you're spotted.

If you operate as a relay, not all of the traffic that comes in will be
exit traffic. Therefore, an attacker will (a) have to sift through your
outbound traffic and discard Tor connections, (b) have no direct
correlation between your exit traffic and the relay it came from.

Why is (b) important? Because potentially (depending on factors outside
your control) you've just shortened somebody's route from 3 hops to 2.
And this is a serious compromise to their anonymity. So please,
reconsider before blindly hacking at the source.

Julian

--
3072D/F3A66B3A Julian Yon (2012 General Use) <pgp.2012 at jry.me>