[tor-relays] reg : closing circuits and corresponding TLS connections when application terminates

Sambuddho Chakravarty sc2516 at columbia.edu
Sat May 19 02:19:01 UTC 2012

Hi all
 I am playing around with an experimental setup of a private Tor network
and I am using the control protocol to setup custom circuits. Before
establishing the custom circuits on the Tor client , I set the following

__DisablePredictedCircuits:1
MaxOnionsPending : 1
newcircuitperiod : 999999999
maxcircuitdirtiness : 999999999
CircuitStreamTimeout : 999999999
 CircuitIdleTimeout : 999999999

Thereafter, I turn off existing circuits on the client and establish my own
circuit using nodes in my private Tor network. Then the client communicates
to a server via this circuit. When the client-server communication ends,
the circuit closes by itself. Thereafter, in sometime the corresponding
OP-OR connections also close. Is there a way to keep the circuit and/or
OP-OR connections alive long after the client-server communication has
terminated ?

Secondly, I don't see all TLS connections corresponding to the requested
circuit in all the relays. Eg. I am using thee hosts -- A, B and C for the
private network where, A runs two directory authorities and an OR, while B
and C run only ORs. The Tor client of my setup establishes circuit through
A, B and C using the above configuration parameters. 'getinfo' reports that
the requested circuit has been established but I only see TLS connection
betwen A and C..is there a reason why this is the case. Also, in my
network, C has no exit policies, while A and B have 'reject *:*' exit
policies (just to make sure that all TCP connections exit via C).

Thanks
Sambuddho