[tor-relays] Tor relay system & uptime requirements

Steve Snyder swsnyder at snydernet.net
Wed Feb 1 18:59:01 UTC 2012

I'm not familiar with the Sheevaplug, but I have some experience with low-end hardware.

I run a middle node on a Pentium-M 1.8GHz ("Dothan", circa 2004) with 1GB of DDR1 RAM on a CentOS 5.x/i686 box.  I have Tor v0.2.2.x configured for Bandwidth=150KB, BurstBandwidth=300KB.  That 150KB is one-third of my 450KB upload capability.

With this set-up I see the Tor process consuming 2% of CPU, about 60MB of RAM (RSS) used, and I see 100 - 200 connections active at any given time.

That 150KB is the peak traffic that is used (I've never see evidence that BurstBandwidth is used at all).  If fact, it is currently averaging about 90KB.  See here:

http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/router_detail.php?FP=4d393c7d93c16b97a3f41df94919ca8272239b96

The crypto stuff is the CPU bottleneck in Tor, so really Tor's CPU use is gated by OpenSSL's performance.  My CPU, old as it is, has SSE2 instructions and that helps a lot.  I build Tor against a contemporary version of OpenSSL, which doubles the encrypt/decrypt performance relative to the v0.9.8+patches that is standard in CentOS v5.7.

FYI.