[tor-relays] Tor relay system & uptime requirements

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 00:17:36 UTC 2012

> With this set-up I see the Tor process consuming 2% of CPU,
> about 60MB of RAM (RSS) used
> 100 - 200 connections active at any given time.

Seconded. It's not much. And irrespective of hardware, seconded
also on using current OS, build libs and Tor. Some OS require
setting kernel sysctl to enable extra cpu's or cpu features. BIOS
too. But that intel-HT is not worth anything.

> My ISP currently provides me with ~ 800 kbps in upload ... 15 Mbps
> in download but I guess it is better to keep it symmetric

It's bytes in/out of the closed circle that is your box/interfaces. Other than
encapsulation differences, non-symmetric is not physically possible.

You can set up OS rate limiting to let Tor freely use whatever when
you are not using the pipe. But I don't know how to properly let Tor know
you are doing that??? (other than telling Tor it's own rate limit should be
the entire possible size of your pipe, as would be the case when Tor
is allowed by OS to free run during your non usage. Tor would get
squeezed otherwise, but that's probably not too bad.)

>> I have also thought about using the PC of my parents as a bridge

Not a good idea to subject anyone but yourself to the potential
issues of being an exit :) So a non-exit or bridge is better.