init.d script for multi instance TOR servers

Teun Nijssen teun.nijssen at uvt.nl
Fri Sep 3 11:39:30 UTC 2010

Hi,

a couple of weeks ago the exitnode tory.uvt.nl started its first process
TORy0. It runs on a dual quadcore with 8GB and has a 1 Gb/s connection to a
Cisco, which has a 10 Gb/s path into AMS-IX. Each core is:

processor       : 7
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5335  @ 2.00GHz
stepping        : 11
cpu MHz         : 2000.070
cache size      : 4096 KB

Currently the TORy1 to TORy3 instances are slowly speeding up. The machine
runs Linux version 2.6.26-2-amd64 (Debian 2.6.26-24lenny1), currently without
any of the high performance tuning that was discussed lately. Even iptables
does its usual work.

Olaf helped me with his /etc/tor/torrc setup, but I kludged a /etc/init.d/tor
version with the objective that a reboot starts the TOR instances for all
/etc/tor/tor*.cfg files while still allowing manual commands like

sudo /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d tor reload tor2 tor4

No doubt someone will do better, but I love the instances() procedure in
general and the line base=${c##*/} in particular. I stole it from a colleague
who really knows shell.

Anyway, here it is. Have fun and send improvements.

cheers,

teun