Costs of Portable IP Space [was: New Node]

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 09:54:24 UTC 2010

> I was told that RIPE space could be announced outside of Europe.
> The question remains if the ISP would be willing to announce it.

That would seem to be a not so common, and frowned upon, thing as
it would break the old fashioned aggregation that rolls up in global
IX's.

Though sure, anyone could probably request space, so long as it's
'used' in region. Imagine IBM (USA Corp) needing CIDR blocks for
its operations in various countries. One Corp, many places.

>> unless we setup our own infustructure completely. Also ch3rob
>> mentioned that they could route IP space anywhere given a Debian
>> server. Any idea on how that works and if we could roll our own?

> The question remains: (How) can we announce the routing on our own?

Get all your allocations, pipes and a couple PC's. Load them with
an OS [FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Debian], plug them into your pipes, setup
OpenBGPD/Quagga/XORP with your nets and AS, peer up and announce,
accept the incoming traffic and tunnel it for termination on the
other PC located wherever you want.

PC's are fine for this as you don't need switch fabric for routing
at this level. Just figure out how much application bandwidth you
can actually run in/out of your NIC paths.

Not sure I see a point in tunneling traffic unless you want local
hands on box, registration cost savings in another region high
enough to support the double colo/bandwidth fees, and protections
of everything being registered in a friendly region while secretly
tunneling the data for operations elsewhere.

> That's insanely expensive for routing a block and doing BGP.

In some cases, part could be having to do the work, part could be
discouraging a fine paying customer from having the capabilities
of leaving to become a potential competitor, ie: buyer of direct
pipe and neutral floorspace from the tier-1's.