init.d script for multi instance TOR servers

Mike Perry mikeperry at fscked.org
Tue Sep 7 10:56:24 UTC 2010

Thus spake tor_ml (tor_ml at ymail.com):

> On 09/07/2010 10:40 AM, Mike Perry wrote:
> >What would be useful is if you could give us a byte breakdown of how
> >much traffic you transfer per day, per tcp port, to the nearest large
> >unit. Or per week, if the numbers for some ports end up being too
> >small to round, and may compromise anonymity.
>
> If you want to know the bytes transferred on a certain source-port in
> outbound (not per connection), you can create a rule in OUTPUT matching
> that port.
>
> To avoid having to test against 65535 rules (linear search worst case)
> you could do a binary sort using port ranges. With binary sort you need
> to test against 17 rules in the worst case.
>
> If this is what you want I could create such a ruleset next week.

Well hrmm. Actually, the other subtlety to this is separating out the
exit traffic from traffic that is due to being in the Guard, Exit, and
Middle position.

That, or write some code to parse current consensuses for IPs, and
then count all bytes sent to those IPs in one bucket.

Similarly, all incoming connections would need to be in their own
bucket as well..

This may be something that we need to do inside Tor, or at least via a
TorCtl control port app such as Damian's ARM.

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist