init.d script for multi instance TOR servers

tor_ml tor_ml at ymail.com
Tue Sep 7 10:47:41 UTC 2010

On 09/07/2010 10:40 AM, Mike Perry wrote:
> What would be useful is if you could give us a byte breakdown of how
> much traffic you transfer per day, per tcp port, to the nearest large
> unit. Or per week, if the numbers for some ports end up being too
> small to round, and may compromise anonymity.
>
> I am not sure how to do this, or I would do it myself on my nodes,
> too. I imagine some iptables marking magic could get us this data.
>
> Anyone with some iptables or mrtg foo who can help us gather this
> data?  We do not want to do anything that requires pcap or tcpdump
> recording.

If you want to know the bytes transferred on a certain source-port in
outbound (not per connection), you can create a rule in OUTPUT matching
that port.

To avoid having to test against 65535 rules (linear search worst case)
you could do a binary sort using port ranges. With binary sort you need
to test against 17 rules in the worst case.

If this is what you want I could create such a ruleset next week.