[tor-relays-universities] Tor on Campus

Linus Nordberg linus at nordberg.se
Sat Sep 20 22:18:43 UTC 2014

Nik <nskinkel at iastate.edu> wrote
Fri, 19 Sep 2014 23:41:24 -0500:

| This is just our personal experience, so take it with a grain of salt,
| but we've found there are 3 major things the IT bureaucracy wants to
| see, and in conversations with them it's come up that individuals trying
| to do things like run a Tor node in the past have been shut down for
| lacking (at least) one of these things:

As someone working with network operations people in several national
research and education networks I'd like to give support to the
description of your three points and especially the summary

| This all basically boils down to "Don't make the IT people's lives
| more difficult."

which is what most of this is about. This is hard to achieve without
them trusting you, so one way might be to start out with something not
too complicated/risky and then move towards more challenging things.

Regarding risk, I've found more than one organisation optimising less on
minimising cost and more on avoiding bad press. Also, finding out what
the ones dealing with abuse issues (the IRT/CERT) value and fear is
often well spent energy.