[tor-qa] testing tor proxy with a script

André Rodier andre~tor at rodier.me
Thu Mar 28 07:08:47 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

I was not sure where to post this, but maybe QA is a good place.

I have a project that includes an automatic installation of a Tor proxy.

After the installation, I am able to test the proxy works as expected,
using the official site, i.e. https://check.torproject.org/

I am using curl / grep to test for a string like "Congratulations,
etc..."

However, I know this is not perfectly reliable, as the layout of the
HTML can change at any time.

I would like to know if there is a better way to do this, for instance a
special URL that would return the same information, in JSON or plain
text.
The plain text option is perfectly fine.

The Ansible script is here:
https://github.com/progmaticltd/homebox/blob/dev/tests/playbooks/roles/tor/tasks/main.yml

Thanks a lot for your insights.

Kind regards,