[tor-qa] Tor Brower 8.5a9 is ready for testing

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Sun Mar 17 15:27:00 UTC 2019

Hello!

Tor Browser 8.5a9 is ready for testing. Bundles can be found at:

https://people.torproject.org/~boklm/builds/8.5a9-build2/

This new Tor Browser version picks up Firefox security bug fixes coming
with Firefox 60.6.0esr and ships the second alpha in Tor's 0.4.0 series,
0.4.0.2-alpha. Besides those and other regular component updates
(e.g. OpenSSL to 1.0.2r) we are proud to give three major features wider
testing in our alpha series:

Firstly, for our desktop users we redesigned our security controls,
exposing the security slider state directly on our reorganized toolbar.
The current code implements large parts of proposal 101[1] and we hope
we make the overall experience less confusing that way, especially for
unexperienced users. Thanks to Richard for all the hard work on this!

Secondly, we redesigned our boostrapping interface for Tor Browser on
Android, giving what we hope is a similar experience to the one provided
for desktop versions. This is the first big part in our efforts to drop
our dependency on Orbot while still making bootstraping progress and
bridge/pluggable transport configuration easily accessible. Thanks to
Matt for all the work on this feature!

Thirdly, we implemented pluggable transport support for our mobile
users, allowing them to bypass censorship with the help of obfs3, obfs4,
and meek. It is possible to use both built-in bridges and custom ones,
which users can obtain e.g. from BridgeDB or friends.

The full changelog since 8.5a8 is:

Tor Browser 8.5a9 -- March 19 2019
 * All platforms
   * Update Firefox to 60.6.0esr
   * Update Torbutton to 2.1.5
     * Bug 25658: Replace security slider with security level UI
     * Bug 28628: Change onboarding Security panel to open new Security
Level panel
     * Bug 29440: Update about:tor when Tor Browser is updated
     * Bug 27478: Improved Torbutton icons for dark theme
     * Bug 29021: Tell NoScript it is running within Tor Browser
     * Bug 29239: Don't ship the Torbutton .xpi on mobile
     * Translations update
   * Bug 29120: Enable media cache in memory
   * Bug 29445: Enable support for enterprise policies
 * Windows + OS X + Linux
   * Update Tor to 0.4.0.2-alpha
     * Bug 29660: XMPP can not connect to SOCKS5 anymore
   * Update OpenSSL to 1.0.2r
   * Update Tor Launcher to 0.2.18.1
     * Bug 29328: Account for Tor 0.4.0.x's revised bootstrap status
reporting
     * Bug 22402: Improve "For assistance" link
     * Translations update
   * Bug 25658+29554: Replace security slider with security level UI
   * Bug 28885: notify users that update is downloading
   * Bug 29180: MAR download stalls when about dialog is opened
   * Bug 27485: Users are not taught how to open security-slider dialog
   * Bug 27486: Avoid about:blank tabs when opening onboarding pages
   * Bug 29440: Update about:tor when Tor Browser is updated
   * Bug 23359: WebExtensions icons are not shown on first start
   * Bug 28628: Change onboarding Security panel to open new Security
Level panel
 * Android
   * Bug 28329: Design Tor Browser for Android configuration UI
   * Bug 28802: Support PTs in Tor Browser for Android
   * Bug 29794: Update TBA built-in bridges
   * Bug 27210: Add support for x86 on Android
   * Bug 29633: Don't ship pdnsd anymore
   * Bug 28708: about:tor is not the default homepage after upgrade
   * Bug 29626: Application name is now "Always-On Notifications"
   * Bug 29467: Backport fix for arc4random_buf bustage
 * Build System
   * All platforms
     * Bug 25876: Generate source tarballs during build
     * Bug 28685: Set Build ID based on Tor Browser version
     * Bug 29194: Set DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
   * Linux
     * Bug 26323: Build 32bit Linux bundles on 64bit Debian Wheezy
     * Bug 29758: Build firefox debug symbols for linux-i686
   * Android
     * Bug 29632: Use HTTPS for downloading Gradle

Georg

[1]
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-browser-spec.git/tree/proposals/101-security-controls-redesign.txt