[tor-qa] Tor Browser 8.0a9 is ready for testing

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Wed Jun 27 13:31:36 UTC 2018

On 27 June 2018 at 12:57, Georg Koppen <gk at torproject.org> wrote:
>> The triangle exclamation is still flashing. I realize at this point
>> it's probably the erroneous 'update available' message. I think we
>> should change whatever needs to be changed so that alpha/newer
>> versions don't report they have an 'update' available.
>
> No, it's not saying you have an update available but rather that the
> version you are using is not recommended (yet). I think the respective
> text on about:tor might be misleading, though. I am fine modifying the
> text as needed but why should we not warn users once they run an
> unrecommended Tor Browser version? What we could do to avoid this
> problem is maybe for the alpha approving the upcoming release earlier?

Hrm. So flashing because it's not a recommended release makes sense...

I guess my attitude towards Alphas and Nightlies (especially if Alpha
has it's own Update Channel) is to make Alpha Tor Browser visually and
runtime distinct (different icon, process name, profile dir, etc) from
the release channel of TB; like other browsers do. Then you can tell
people who aren't on the latest Alpha that their version is incorrect;
but the latest Alpha will be correct.

>> I go to youtube and watch a video.  I try New Identity.
>>
>> I notice there is a 'New Window' and a 'New Private Window' menu
>> buttons in the hamburger that do the same thing.
>
> Yes. What would you suggest we do? Hide the first one in case we are in
> permanent Private Browsing Mode?

Yea, hide one of them. Arthur mentioned a patch he was working on
included hiding one.

-tom