[tor-qa] Tor Browser 8.0a9 is ready for testing

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Wed Jun 27 12:57:00 UTC 2018

Tom Ritter:
> I tested torbrowser-install-win64-8.0a9_en-US.exe
>
> Upon the browser opening, the initial screen has an orange 'Tor
> Browser' in the address bar with an icon of a firefox next to it.
>
> The onion icon has a flashing triange icon.
>
> The banner about checking out the security slider goes away after
> visiting the first page; the icon stays flashing.
>
> When I click the icon and open the Security Settings dialog, the icon
> is still flashing.

That's expected as 8.0a9 is not a recommended version yet.

> In the security settings dialog, clicking the labels directly works,
> but clicking in the grey space in between or nearby the labels does
> not. It would be nice if it did, so i didn't have to be so precise
> with my mouse.

Well, you can click anywhere on the slider to adjust the slider level,
no need to click on the exact label. I am inclined to think that's
enough and we don't need to cover the space between the labels.

> After closing the security slider dialog, the icon is still flashing
> the exclamation triangle.

Yeah, no 8.0a9 yet.

> I typed in ritter.vg in the address bar, get redirected to
> https://ritter.vg but there is not lock icon and the doorhanger off
> the (i) says 'This connection is not secure.

Interesting, this might be a Windows-only thing? Because it works for me
on Linux.

> The Tor circuit dialog looks great, clicking the new circuit button
> worked; however it still says it's not secure. In a new tab, typing in
> https://ritter.vg directly works. In another new tab typing ritter.vg
> now shows the lock (this is probably due to HSTS info and a
> before-navigation upgrade rather than a redirect.)
>
> I typed in tomritterbassljd.onion/ (which redirects to SSL serving an
> expired-but-valid-EV-onion certificate) and got an intersitial saying
> my connection is not secure. The address bar shows the green
> lock+onion icon, but no EV indicator. Adding an exception and
> continuing works and the UI stays the same saying it's a secure
> connection.

That might be Richard's
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/26456.

> The triangle exclamation is still flashing. I realize at this point
> it's probably the erroneous 'update available' message. I think we
> should change whatever needs to be changed so that alpha/newer
> versions don't report they have an 'update' available.

No, it's not saying you have an update available but rather that the
version you are using is not recommended (yet). I think the respective
text on about:tor might be misleading, though. I am fine modifying the
text as needed but why should we not warn users once they run an
unrecommended Tor Browser version? What we could do to avoid this
problem is maybe for the alpha approving the upcoming release earlier?

> I go to youtube and watch a video.  I try New Identity.
>
> I notice there is a 'New Window' and a 'New Private Window' menu
> buttons in the hamburger that do the same thing.

Yes. What would you suggest we do? Hide the first one in case we are in
permanent Private Browsing Mode?

Georg